During the former years when the Christmas was not this commercialized and artificial decorative items were not available, people used to decorate their houses in a traditional manner. Handmade products were used to decorate the lawns and houses. Colorful candles instead of the Christmas lights were used to brighten up the homes. Though commercialization has caught everyone, nonetheless the glory of handmade items still remains intact. People still use handmade stuff to decorate their house, which adds on to the traditional factor of the entire ambience. The homemade decoration adds a personalized touch to the entire setting. Also, handmade products can be easily personalized with the help of adding initials or a photograph to it. Go through the ideas as these help you get started.
Handmade Christmas Decoration Ideas
- Pinecones are the most conventional form of decoration and if used creatively, these become a stunning piece of decoration and that to without much hassle. All you need to do is take a few pinecones and spray-paint those with golden and silver colors. These can be put in the lawn or in a big glass bowl. These can also be used to ornament the Christmas tree.
- Salt dough items can be used to decorate the home. Take some flour and mix it with some salt and water to make dough then roll it flat with a pin. Cut out shapes using moulds and don’t forget to make a small hole on top of every shape. Bake these shapes for two minutes in a microwave and when hardened, ornament the Christmas tree with these.
- If you are good at sewing and knitting, you can try a variety of things like making Christmas stocking, Christmas tree skirt, a table runner etc. Some multi-colored felts, cotton and ribbon are all that you need to make stocking.
- Instead of adoring the Christmas tree with store-bought bells, stars and decorative votives, this Christmas, indulge in homemade embellishments. Collect pinking shears, felt, buttons, sequins, gems, ribbons and get on to the task of making handmade stars, bows, and so on.
- You can also try making a Christmas wreath with the help of various twigs. After winding these twigs and evergreens, you can decorate these with decorated pinecones, homemade salt dough cookies, Christmas crackers etc.
- The key factor behind a successful homemade decoration is creativity. You should be open to all types of decoration and colors. Don’t be stuck with the traditional colors like red, green, white. Instead, experiment with modern colors like blue, golden, brown, silver etc.
- Always try to personalize the decoration as it gives a well-tailored look to your homemade decoration. It also adds on to the personal factor.
- Children are always happy to help with the homemade decoration. Do remember to include them in decorating the house. Give them an opportunity to exhibit their skills. Allow them to prepare paper Mache items or paper cutting ornaments for tree but only in assistance of an elder.