Friday, August 24, 2012
Thursday, August 23, 2012
Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated as the birth anniversary of Lord Ganesha. It is believed that Ganesh Ji is fond of sweet food and thus, His birthday is celebrated with variety of sweets and other dishes. A special sweet dish called Modak and many other sweets, along with milk, is offered to idols of Lord Ganeshji at home and in temples. One famous sweet dish which is usually prepared on Ganesh Chaturthi is Rawa Ladoo. Below, we are providing the recipe of rawa ladoo, which can help you to understand how to make the dish.
Rawa Ladoo Recipe
Rawa Ladoo Recipe
- 100 gm Semolina (Suji/Rava)
- 250 ml Milk, toned
- 10 g Ghee
- ½ cup Sugar, powdered
- 1 pinch Cardamom
- Roast semolina in a non-stick pan on low heat till it slightly turns brown.
- Add ghee and milk.
- Stir till mixture becomes sticky.
- Add powdered cardamom and mix.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the sugar and mix.
- Form the dough in to small balls.
- Serve when dry.
Ganesh chaturthi is celebrated as the birthday of Lord Ganesha across India. According to Indian traditions, dishes such as halwa and puri are must to be added in the menu of the birthday celebrations. Same is the case with the birthday of Gods. Ganesh chaturthi celebration witnesses with the preparation of lots of delicious dishes and one of them is Puran Poli. It is very famous dish of Maharashtra and is specially cooked on the occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi. Below, we have given the recipe of Puran Poli, which can help you to know hwo to make the dish.
Puran Poli Recipe
Puran Poli Recipe
- 1 cup Maida
- 1 pinch Turmeric Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 tsp Ghee
- Water, enough to make dough
- 6 tbsp Oil
- Oil / Ghee, for frying
- 1 - 1/2 cup Jaggery
- 1 - 1/4 cup Bengal Gram Dal
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Blend the ghee and masala with the maida.
- Using water make a soft smooth dough. Leave under a wet cloth for 40-50 minutes.
- Knead the maida again. Put in the 6 tbs oil and knead till completely absorbed. Cover and leave aside for 4 hours.
- Put the dal in the cooker till one whistle.
- Drain the water.
- Grind the dal to make a paste with the jaggery and cardamom powder.
- Remember that the filling should not be watery.
- Make small balls of the filling. Divide the dough into small balls and flatten them.
- Place one ball of filling on the dough and cover and seal up the filling.
- Carefully roll out the dough into thick puris making sure the filling does not come out.
- Fry on a tawa pouring ghee around it. Cook on both sides.
Ganesh Chaturthi or Ganesh Utsav is celebrated all across India and is also the biggest festival in Maharashtra. This festival is celebrated with great fervor and joy. People gather together with their family and friends to celebrate the birthday of Lord Ganesha. And as it is a birthday celebration, it cannot go without food. Various special dishes are prepared on this special day and offered to the Lord. One of the most famous recipes prepared on this occasion is Puliyodarai. It is a rice dish, which is very easy to make. Read the recipe of Puliyodarai given below to know how to make it.
- Cooked Rice, according to need
- 4 - 5 Cups water
- Few Corriander Seeds
- Few Red Chillies
- 5 -6 Spoons of Oil
- Few Mustard seeds
- Few Methi seeds
- 1/2 Cup Udad Dal
- 1/2 Cup Channa Dal
- Few Red Chilies
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- Few Curry Leaves
- Few Groundnuts
- Soak a good quantity of tamarind in hot water,
- Allow it to soak for about 10 minutes after that remove the pulp, it should approximately be about 4-5 cups.
- Meanwhile grind coriander seeds (daniya seeds) and red chillies into a fine powder.
- Heat about 5-6 spoons of oil in a pan.
- Splatter mustard seeds, methi seeds, udad dal, channa dal, red chilli, hing, curry leaves & groundnuts.
- Fry all them till golden brown.
- Put 1 spoon of red chilli powder, 1/2 spoon of turmeric powder and add the tamarind water into it.
- Once it is boiling add the salt according to taste, along with the grinded powder.
- Allow it to reduce in volume; soon you will see the oil leaving the sides of the pan. When it attains a chutney consistency, remove from flame.
- Mix it with rice for pulliodirai.