- 2cup Rice
- 1 cup Urad Daal (white)
- 11/2 tbsp Salt
- A pinch of Baking Soda
- Oil (for greasing the pans)
- Pick, wash and soak the daal overnight or for 8 hours.
- Pick, wash and drain the rice. Grind it coarsely in a blender.
- Grind the daal into a smooth and forthy paste.
- Now mix the grinded rice and daal together into a batter.
- Mix salt and set aside in a warm place for 8-9 hours or overnight for fermenting.
- Idlis are ready to be cooked when the batter is well fermented.
- Grease the idle holder or pan well and fill each of thm with 3/4th full of batter.
- Steam cook idlis on medium flame for about 10 minutes or until done.
- Use a butter knife to remove the idlis.
- Serve them with sambhar or chutney.