Google Search

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Philosophical Thoughts II

When I die, I will not see myself die, for the first time. ~Antonio Porchia

The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground. ~Buddha

We become aware of the void as we fill it. ~Antonio Porchia

If I make the lashes dark
And the eyes more bright
And the lips more scarlet,
Or ask if all be right
From mirror after mirror,
No vanity’s displayed:
I’m looking for the face I had
Before the world was made.
~W.B. Yeats

Almost every wise saying has an opposite one, no less wise, to balance it. ~Santayana

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr

Who is more foolish, the child afraid of the dark or the man afraid of the light? ~Maurice Freehill

I believe that men are generally still a little afraid of the dark, though the witches are all hung, and Christianity and candles have been introduced. ~Henry David Thoreau

Because they know the name of what I am looking for, they think they know what I am looking for! ~Antonio Porchia

Eggs cannot be unscrambled. ~American Proverb

A thing, until it is everything, is noise, and once it is everything it is silence. ~Antonio Porchia

The road was new to me, as roads always are going back. ~Sarah Orne Jewett

We used to think that if we knew one, we knew two, because one and one are two. We are finding that we must learn a great deal more about “and.” ~Arthur Stanley Eddington

No snowflake ever falls in the wrong place. ~Zen

The moment a little boy is concerned with which is a jay and which is a sparrow, he can no longer see the birds or hear them sing. ~Eric Berne

Nearly all men die of their remedies, and not of their illnesses. ~Jean Baptiste Molière

The charm of history and its enigmatic lesson consist in the fact that, from age to age, nothing changes and yet everything is completely different. ~Aldous Huxley

Genuine tragedies in the world are not conflicts between right and wrong. They are conflicts between two rights. ~Georg Hegel

When I break any of the chains that bind me I feel that I make myself smaller. ~Antonio Porchia

We are spirits clad in veils. ~Christopher P. Cranch

If I am not pleased with myself, but should wish to be other than I am, why should I think highly of the influences which have made me what I am? ~John Lancaster Spalding

Before I travelled my road I was my road. ~Antonio Porchia

If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts, but if he will content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties. ~Francis Bacon

To believe with certainty we must begin with doubting. ~Stanislaus I of Poland

The world always makes the assumption that the exposure of an error is identical with the discovery of truth – that the error and truth are simply opposite. They are nothing of the sort. What the world turns to, when it is cured on one error, is usually simply another error, and maybe one worse than the first one. ~H.L. Mencken

The future influences the present just as much as the past. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe. ~John Muir

One does what one is; one becomes what one does. ~Robert von Musil

You can’t fall off the floor. ~Author Unknown

A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from a mountain top.~Author Unknown

In general people experience their present naively, as it were, without being able to form an estimate of its contents; they have first to put themselves at a distance from it – the present, that is to say, must have become the past – before it can yield points of vantage from which to judge the future. ~Sigmund Freud

The only Zen you can find on the tops of mountains is the Zen you bring up there.~Robert M. Pirsig

A stumble may prevent a fall. ~English Proverb

When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. ~Friedrich Nietzche

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought. ~Matsuo Basho 

No comments:

" Motivational Video "

All Posts on this blog are the property of their respective authors. All information has been reproduced here for educational and informational purposes.