Tips For Making New Friends
- To make new friends, the first thing you need to do is, meet up with new people. This should be quite simple, as your neighborhood should have a club, school or any other small organization. Go there and talk to people. You will be surprised to see the response you get. Don't be too haughty or condescending. It is far more important to be nice than be interesting. Therefore, once you get into a social circle or group, making friends is not tough at all.
- Look approachable. You need not dress up in dandy clothes or wear loud make up to attract people. More than artificial make up, simplicity attracts people. Smile often, make eye contact, don't look too tensed and listen to what others have to say.
- Accept people the way they are. Unnecessary fault finding, critically analyzing every individual will not work, if you want to make new friends. No one is perfect; you are not either. Everyone has faults and the way to make friends is by looking at the positive aspects of the individual. In case you don't like someone's behavior, it is better to avoid than create a rivalry.
- Try to keep your communication channels open. Don't sit back, relax and expect lasting friendships to occur. It requires communication from both sides. Therefore, call up people you have just met, email old friends who have moved away, drop in occasional sms just to say 'hi'. You will be pleasantly surprised at the responses that you get.
- Show people you are reliable and can be trusted. In a new group, ask if you could something to drink or invite someone over. Exchange phone numbers and don't forget to call up. Remember, it is essential to take the first step to begin the journey of an ever lasting friendship. When someone entrusts you with a work, give it your best shot.
- Last but not the least - don't forget old friends. If they have moved away or if you have moved away, be in touch with occasional phone calls and emails. Don't leave old friends for the sake of new ones.